These are some of the variations that can be used
with the friendship bread starter recipe.
Friendship Bread Variations
1. Banana: Omit cinnamon and vanilla pudding in the basic recipe and add two bananas (mashed)
2. Chocolate: Omit cinnamon and vanilla pudding from the basic recipe and add 1 - (5.1 oz) box of instant chocolate pudding, 3 tsp. cocoa and 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours.
3. Raisin & Apple: Add one cup of raisins and one small diced apple.
4. Butterscotch: Omit the vanilla pudding. Add 1 box of butterscotch pudding and 1 cup of butterscotch chips.
5. Chocolate & Coconut: Replace the vanilla pudding with chocolate and add 1/2 cup each of chocolate chips and coconut.
I use small (about 1 cup size) bundt pans and bake for 45 - 50 minutes.
6. Chocolate2: Use 1/4 cup cocoa, or even a little more and either the vanilla or chocolate pudding can be used.
Reduce the cinnamon to half (1 teaspoon). The cinnamon gives it an even better taste than just using chocolate alone.
7. Chocolate Cinnamon: 1 to 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips - this is great if you put the chocolate chips in a bowl and shake 1/2 teaspoon extra cinnamon to coat them.
8. Chocolate Orange: 1 to 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips and orange zest to taste.
9. Chocolate3: Substitute chocolate pudding for the vanilla and add 1 cup of chocolate chips for an awesome Chocolate Chip Bread .
10. Lemon: Use lemon pudding and add 1/4 cup of poppy seeds.
11. Lemon2: For lemon bread, substitute lemon pudding mix and lemon extract, omit the cinnamon and nuts, and add poppy seeds.
12. Lemon & Poppy Seed: Use 2 sm. boxes of instant lemon pudding instead of the vanilla pudding, replace poppy seeds for the cinnamon, & use lemon peel instead of the vanilla. Bake for about 1 1/2 hrs.
13. Pineapple & Lemon: Make with dried pineapple and lemon instant pudding.
14. Lemon3: Lemon Coconut - Delete cinnamon, nuts and vanilla. Use lemon flavored pudding; add 1-tsp. lemon extract and 2 cups coconut.
15. Lemon Walnut: Omit Cinnamon, Vanilla Pudding in basic recipe and add 1 teaspoon lemon extract, 1 package lemon pudding and one cup of chopped walnuts.
16. Banana2: Use banana cream pie pudding and two mashed bananas. Optional ¼ cup chocolate chips.
17. Banana3: For banana bread, I substitute banana cream pudding mix and a mashed banana, and omit the cinnamon.
18. Zucchini: Add 1 cup of grated zucchini. Make sure you squeeze out the excess liquid. Bake for about 75 minutes, but start checking after 50 minutes.
19. Cranberry & Orange: A cup of dried cranberries and a tsp of orange zest, along with a cup of chopped nuts, makes a nice holiday variation to the cake!
20. Apples & Carmel: Dried apples and caramel instant pudding.
21. White Chocolate, Macadamia Nuts & Cheesecake: 3/4 cup white chocolate chips, 3/4 cup macadamia nuts and 1 package cheesecake pudding.
22. Gingerbread: Substitute 2 tablespoons molasses forequal amount of sugar and add spices to make gingerbread.
23. Pineapple, Coconut & Pistachio: Add 1 cup of drained crushed pineapple, 1 cup shredded coconut and pistachio pudding (instead of vanilla).
24. Raisins & Nuts: Add 1/2 cup nuts and 1/2 cup white raisins.
25. Orange: Use 1 small box of orange jello, 1 c. drained mandarin oranges.
26. Strawberry: Use 1 small box of strawberry jello, 1 c. thawed strawberries.
27. Cheesecake & Cherry: Use Cheesecake pudding instead of vanilla pudding and add chopped
maraschino cherries (about 6 with some juice).
28. Low Fat & Low Sugar: Make it more healthy. Use 1/2 c oil and 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce instead of 1c of oil.
Can use sugar free pudding also.
29. Pineapple, Coconut & Pecan: Add a small can of well drained crushed pineapple, coconut, and chopped pecans.
30. Banana Cream & Coconut: Use banana cream pudding, with shredded coconut.
31. Cappuccino, Chocolate Chips & Nuts: Use cappuccino pudding, 1/2 C. chocolate chips and 1/2 C. nuts of choice.
We hope you enjoy these variations as much as we do.